Thank you for overwhelming shower of faith and prayers! At 9:00 am today, we felt like we stepped into a column of pure light!
Here are the miracles today:
1. During the changing of the dressing, Dr. L. said that Max’s 3rd degree burns are more like 25%, not the 30% they originally thought.
2. Max’s swelling has come down significantly. He can now open his eyes!
3. The burns require an environment that is moist and antibacterial. Up until last night, we would mist his body once a day with a combination of natural solutions and then they would apply Silvadene creme with silver in it. We were feeling like Max needed more and wasn’t getting enough for the level of healing that he was ready for. We explored options together. We were both frustrated and couldn’t see another way. Natalie said a silent prayer that angels could work with the doctor and the head nurse to inspire them. The head nurse suddenly blurted out, what if we use the Sulfur irrigation method that we use after skin grafts. This method uses tubes with holes to literally irrigate and carry an antibacterial solution to the burns. So last night, they switched from the dressings being a Silvadene cream to this “irrigation” method. First, they put gauze on the burns, then liquid in rubber tubes with holes in them, then medical bandages. They are allowing us to pour our the mixture through the rubber tubes every 4 hours (and we just transitioned to every 2 hours!!) instead of applying natural solutions once per day with the Silvadene!
4. He is breathing better than ever. He is rocking at 60% ventilation support. His target is 40% and clear lungs to say good bye to the ventilator.
5. Overall, Max’s body is stabilizing from the burn. His pH and SATs are good, and he is making progress towards coming off the ventilator. However, his lungs are starting to fill with liquid, which delays his ability to breathe on his own.
Many have asked if Max is conscious. He is being sedated for several reasons
1. He has a tube down his throat
2. He has a feeding tube down his nose
3. He has 6 other tubes going into his body
4. His body is in a lot of pain, and heals better while sedated
If he weren’t sedated, he would try to pull the tubes out. He can still hear everything around him and is somewhat responsive. About 2 times per day, he opens his eyes and we can ask him a couple questions. He’ll respond by shaking or nodding his head or gesturing with his arms. Then he’ll fade back to sleep. Every time we ask him if he’s in pain, he shakes his head that he isn’t. Almost every nurse Max has had has said he’s the best patient they’ve ever had. He even gave a thumbs up once. They love him and feel the brilliance of who he is.
If you’re still up to it, we invite your continued prayers for:
1. Bowels to start moving
2. Lungs to clear up
3. More skin to be healed.
We have a vision of Max whole in every way: body, mind, and spirit. That is who our boy is. Whatever that is to look like now we accept AND we claim every blessing for this amazing young man. There are moments it feels like he may be going through this to help many others who are suffering know a better way.